Monday, June 29, 2009

Bamboo Groves and Rocket Stoves


























Hey, it Rhymes, Bamboo Groves and Rocket Stoves.
You know, one of my jobs is being a mad scientist, so I'm always experimenting with new ideas and trying things. So several years ago I planted a small grove of Bamboo trees that seem to grow quite easily in our cold climate. As a matter of fact, they spread like wildfire! I keep trimming them for tomato stakes and fishing poles for the kids and other stuff like that. Once you dry Bamboo out, it is Strong like iron. As a matter of fact, it's more like carbon fiber than iron.
Well anyway, I got this idea to try dry Bamboo as fuel for my rocket stove. If you don't know what a rocket stove is I'm adding some photos. You know what they say about one picture! Now you can make a rocket stove out of just about anything that will not burn. I literally threw mine together for this experiment in abut ten minutes. Then I stacked some of the dry bamboo in the bottom chamber and lit it. Now I know why they call it a "Rocket Stove!"
My point in this whole exercise is that Bamboo is an excellent renewable fuel because it is really a grass and it grows like hell! Now that's what I call renewable. Besides, it has hundreds of uses. Just Google Bamboo and you will see what I mean. Also google "Rocket Stove" if you haven't already. I'm going to try a Rocket Stove in my micro home. I'll have to build it so it is safe to use indoors so that's a WIGTI project.
I seem to be running out of time these days. Perhaps one of you will pick up on this project. I'm going to add some photos. Also, consider planting Bamboo groves for the future if you can afford the space. Trees are always great anyway. It's a win - win situation.
Thanks,
Walt
We support WWW.KIVA.ORG

No comments: