Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Great Free Green Bicycle Business Idea by Walt Barrett

   I heard on the news this morning that this year since the major increase in gasoline prices that the sales of bicycles and motor scooters have doubled.  Naturally that means a lot of people are going to want to get into one of those businesses.  Well I'm going to tell you how to do it with no money at all.
   Many people who know me also know that when I was a kid in the great depression we were very poor like many others.  It was a lot worse than it is now, although we seem to be heading in that direction again thanks to some very poor government.  I have often told the story of getting my first bicycle by dump picking for the parts. Well it's a lot easier these days.  I have noticed on trash day as I drive through our local cities that people are leaving near perfect bicycles on the curb to be picked up.  Most bike parts are interchangeable so all you have to do is start collecting them and use some for parts to fix the others and you have an instant green backyard business that you can expand to any size you want and even parlay it into an electric scooter dealership.  The best part is that you don't need a dime to start it and you can learn about fixing bikes for free on the Internet.  Believe me, recycling is very profitable.  I did it with batteries twenty-five years ago (Battery Chem) and never looked back!  Don't be too quick about renting a shop either.  Remember what I  always say, "Overhead is the monster that eats businesses."
Walt